Hello Entrepreneurs, I am DigitalSunilSah, eCommerce Seller Trainer at “eCommerce with Sunil” and in this article, we will be talking about the “Copyright Registration Process in India.”
What exactly is copyright? What is copyright registration? What is the duration of the copyright? What are the important benefits of copyright and what are the various documents that you will be required during our copyright registrations?
What is Copyright?
First of all let us understand what is copyright?
Copyright means right to copy: It is the legal right of the owner’s intellectual property.
Copyright in simpler terms: If you own a copyright and in case you are the original content creator of the workpiece like a music album, photography, videography, or any artwork, and in that case, if someone copies your original content without your permission then, in that case, it’s a violation of the law. so copyright or copyright registration is a legal means of protecting owners or author’s original work.
Duration of Copyright
It often comes to our mind that if we go for copyright registration what will be the duration period of copyright registration?
So for copyright registration in India, the duration is for 60 years and this copyright registration is protected by the copyright registration law 1957. Through this law, the owner’s original work gets protected from being replicated or from being cheated.
Categories of Copyright
The registrar of copyright is divided into six categories
- Literary work other than computer programs
- Musical work
- Artistic work
- Cinematography films
- Sound recordings and
- Computer programs, Tables and compilation
Now the most essential thing that why copyright registration is important and what are the various benefit a copyright owner gets through copyright registration.
Why is Copyright Registration Important?
- Copyright protects the original content of the creator from being replicated by others the other without authorization. Only creator’s unauthorized individual can replicate the original work without the fear of violation of the law.
- Original work in a tangible form can be protected under copyright law. Copyright automatically becomes effective as soon as it is created, it means there is no formality to be completed for claiming copyright.
- Unpublished work can also be copyrighted but for publishing the unpublished work you need to send a copy of manuscript along with the application.
- A copyright registration is a public record that helps the imaginative creator to prove his ownership over raj related copyright.
- A copyright registration gave the certification to the copyright holder to file for the infringement and demand for the damages.
- Copyright registration generates the goodwill in the market which is used as the record of ownership and further it can be used for the purpose of selling.
Instruction for Filing copyright registration form Online:
- If already registered enter your valid User ID and Password to login to Copyright Office Online Webiste.
- If you are visiting for first time the click on the New User Registration tab and create your User ID and Password.
3. After login, click on to link “Click for online Copyright Registration”.
4. The online “Copyright Registration Form” will now be available to be filled up in four steps.
A. Complete the Form XIV, then press SAVE button to Save entered details, and move to Next Step.
B. Signature Upload: a scanned signature of 512 KB is required to be uploaded
C. Fill up the Statement of Particulars, and then press SAVE button and press Step 3/4 to move to Next step
D. Fill up the Statement of Further particulars: This form is applicable for “LITERARY/ DRAMATIC, MUSICAL, ARTISTIC AND SOFTWARE” works, and then press SAVE and press Step 4 to move to Next Step.
E. Make the payment through your preferred Payment gateway
5. After successful submission of the form, Diary Number will be generated (Please note it for future reference).
- Artistic Work to be uploaded in pdf/jpg format.
- Sound Recording Work to be uploaded in .mp3 format.
- Literary/Dramatic, Music and Software* Work to be uploaded in pdf format, less than 10 MB, keep ready.
6. Please take a printout of each of the “Acknowledgement Slip” and the “Copyright Registration Form”, and send it by post to the below mentioned address.
Department For Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
Ministry of Commerce and Industry
Boudhik Sampada Bhawan,
Plot No. 32, Sector 14, Dwarka, New Delhi-110078
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone No.: 011-28032496
Copyright Registration FAQ
In India, copyright registration is done by the Copyright Office, which is a department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
The Copyright Office is located in New Delhi, and applications for copyright registration can be filed online through their website https://copyright.gov.in/ or in person at their office.
The Copyright Office is responsible for maintaining a register of all copyrighted works in India and issuing copyright certificates to the owners of the registered works. It is important to note that copyright registration is not mandatory in India, but it is highly recommended as it provides legal evidence of ownership in case of any disputes.
In India, you can copyright your music by registering it with the Indian Copyright Official website, which is a part of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The Copyright Office is responsible for granting copyright protection to literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works.
To register your music with the Copyright Office in India, you will need to use Form PA, which is the application for registration of a published or unpublished literary, dramatic, musical, or artistic work under Section 45 of the Copyright Act, 1957.
You can download Form PA from the Indian Copyright Office’s website or obtain a physical copy from the office in New Delhi. The form can be filled out online or offline, depending on your preference.
When filling out the form, make sure to provide accurate and complete information, including the title and description of the music, the author(s) and the owner(s) of the music, and the mode of publication (if applicable). You will also need to provide a copy of the music score or lyrics sheet and a copy of the sound recording of the music.
Let us know your feedback on the article “Copyright Registration process in India” in the comments below 👇
Sunil Kumar Sah @DigitalSunilSah
Sunil is an E-commerce Seller, Blogger, YouTuber and Digital Marketer. He is a digital enthusiast and passionate about Online Selling. He loves sharing his knowledge and experiences on eCommerce in this blog and on his Hindi YouTube Channel “Ecommerce with Sunil” and the English Channel “Ecomsprint“