At ECOMSPRINT, we understand the importance of proper packaging in ensuring the safe delivery of your shipments. That’s why we have provided comprehensive packaging guidelines that cover various aspects such as measuring and weighing packages, packaging methods, sealing and labeling instructions, as well as guidelines for handling restricted items.
An overview of packaging process
Expected takeaways from the packaging guideline handbook are as follows:
1. An overview of packaging process
2. The different categories of products
3. The packaging process of different categories
4. The Final Checklist
1. Understanding the item for appropriate packing choices
An understanding about the product/item to be shipped makes it easy to choose an efficient and cost effective packaging.
The following table relates the basic characteristics of the item to the parameters for selection of packages:
The relationship: Item & package choice
Dimension of item
- Helps in the selection of the appropriate size of boxers/flyers.
● Minimize inventory & cost
Weight of the item
● Optimize for the maximum strength required for the box
● Ensure safety of the item
Fragility of item
● Helps in selection of appropriate box strength
● Helps in optimizing the cushioning items
- Identifies the need for any special requirements of the protection of item.
● E.g. Liquid products need additional leak proofing
Important Points Light Box
2. Selection of Boxes
The right selection of boxes are crucial for the safety delivery of any item shipped.
- Use corrugated boxes of 3 ply for the products below 4 Kgs or not fragile.
- Use corrugated boxes of 5 ply for the products above 4 Kgs and fragile.
- Use tamper evident box/flyer for high-value items (Cost above 7000)
- Ensure the material used can withstand the required edge crush & burst factor load.
- Optimize the size of the boxes as per the product dimensions
- The box should not be too small or too big for the item shipped. An optimum size box should be
- Inspect the box for holes, tears, crushed items & sturdiness. Avoid poor quality boxes for the
safety of items
- Box is very compared to the item shipped
3. Selection of Flyer & Boxes
Flyers are quick & handy in packing of flexible items such as apparels or can be used as an added protection for the safety
of the shipment from external fluids, tampering etc.
● Choose 60-80 microns hot melt glue adhesive LDPE polybag
● Use tamper evident poly bags for high value items (Cost above 5000)
● Inspect the polybag for any damages
● Ensure the opening is sealed properly after picking the item
4. Packaging of an item
Packaging of an item involves leak proofing, cushioning, placing of the item & filling of the voids in the box. Enough
cushioning needs to be provided to ensure no loads are transferred to the items
● Bubble wrap
● Foam sheets
5. Packaging of an item
Liquid items need to be made leak proof before cushioning or packing. Common leak proofing techniques are mentioned
● Heat shrink sleeves
● Taping of bottle caps
● Zip lock or leak proof pouches
6. Gap Filling
All the voids in the box needs to be filled to restrict the movement of the items in the box. Void fill materials as listed below
can be used for the purpose.
Void Fill Material
● Air cushions/Air pouches
● Crumpled paper
● Cardboard inserts (also used as divider for multiple products)
7. Sealing of the consignment
Sealing ensures that the properly packed item is secured and intact inside the box throughout the journey of the shipment.
Use branded pressure sensitive tapes such as BOPP
Seal the center seam of the top and the bottom of the box
● For heavy,liquid & fragile items, apply H-taping by sealing both the center and edge seams on the box
8. Labelling of the Shipment
Proper labelling is crucial for faster & safe handling of the shipment in reaching the intended destination.
Shipment label Essential Data
● Waybill number and barcode (Incase of
shipments of order value above 50,00 )
● Order number & barcode
● Consignee address
● Return address
● Retail / Tax Invoice
The label should be pasted at the right location to make it compatible with the requirements of logistics system for a fast &
How to Paste labels
● Paste the label on the seamless flat face of
● Paste the label away from the seams or
edges of the box
● Readability of barcode is important for faster
and correct processing of shipments
● In flyers/polybags all the essential data on
labels should be visible and the label should
be placed flat
● The pocket containing the label in the flyer
should be taped at the opening to avoid the
loss of label
● Thermal printed labels are strongly
recommended over regular labels
9. Special handling labels
Special handling labels helps in communicating the necessary information for appropriately handling the shipment.
● Dangerous Goods
● Package orientation
● Keep Dry
Poppin Font SIze:16 Black Color
Let us know your feedback on this article “” in the comments below 👇
Sunil Kumar Sah @DigitalSunilSah
Sunil is an E-commerce Seller, Blogger, YouTuber and Digital Marketer. He is a digital enthusiast and passionate about Online Selling. He loves sharing his knowledge and experiences on eCommerce in this blog and on his Hindi YouTube Channel “Ecommerce with Sunil” and the English Channel “Ecomsprint“